History of Stocks
Stocks has been an integral part of Sark history for centuries. There is evidence of old monastic buildings on the site dating from medieval times.
The oldest of the current buildings date from circa 1741. The original farmhouse was built in a central, sheltered position, close to fertile land and one of the most reliable wells on Sark.
In 1895 the property was significantly extended and converted into a farmhouse with rooms by Thomas Godfray, who was also Seneschal of Sark for many years.
The hotel takes its name from Mr & Mrs Harry Stock who owned the property in the early 1900′s.
For many years Stocks remained a successful farm and evolved to become Sark’s leading hotel under the ownership of the Falle family.
The Dame of Sark would frequently entertain Kings and Queens and Heads of State in the dining room at Stocks.
During the Second World War Sark and Stocks were occupied by the German army. Officers, including the Commandant, were billeted at Stocks between 1940 and 1945. Allied commando raids were frequently made via Dixcart Bay and along the valley below Stocks. A German underground escape tunnel can still to be found behind Stocks. Sark was liberated by the allied forces on 10th May 1945, (one day later than Guernsey and Jersey).
Stocks became the home of the Armorgie family in 1979. The new limited company was formed in 2009.